"Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost." -Alma 36:24 (The Book of Mormon)

Friday, June 3, 2011

True Joy

Welcome to my blog! I really struggled with a name that I wanted for this... some kind of short statement that people might take notice of if they just happened to stumble across it. So as I was searching the scriptures for some powerful statement (they have many of them) I came across the statement, "tasting exquisite joy". It actually comes from one of my favorite stories in the Book of Mormon:
In the middle of the Book of Mormon, which is Another Testament of Jesus Christ, there is a story of a young man named Alma the younger. Now Alma the younger grew up in the Americas, around 73 BC, at a time where the church of Jesus Christ was flourishing. Alma the older, who was Alma the younger's father, had been chosen and called as a prophet from God to teach and to witness to others that Jesus was the Christ. Now, Alma the younger did not believe the words of his father. In fact, he rebelled against his father. He tried to ruin people's hopes in a Messiah coming, pulling many people away with him. He went around trying to destroy the church that his father was trying to build. As Alma and his friends went about in their destructive behavior the Lord sent an angel down to visit them. This angel rebuked them and commanded them to stop destroying the church of Christ or they themselves would be destroyed. For three days and three nights Alma lay in a comatose-state, not being able to open his mouth or move his limbs. Although he was still on the outside, on the inside he was experiencing a great struggle. He explains that he began to be, "racked with eternal torment, for my soul was harrowed up to the greatest degree and racked with all my sins" (Alma 36:12).

In the midst of all this sorrow Alma remembers the words of his father prophesying of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who would come into the world and atone for every one's sins. "Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: Oh Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness... and now, behold when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more" (Alma 36:18-19). By calling on the name of the Savior, and having had truly felt remorse for his sins, Alma was able to feel his burdens lifted by the Son of God. Joy and light began to feel his soul and he explained that there was nothing that was, "so exquisite and sweet as was my joy" (Alma 36:21).
After this experience Alma the younger became of the greatest prophets in the Book of Mormon. His whole life had changed because of the experience he had feeling the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Although I have never had an experience quite like Alma's I can relate to it, as I'm sure a lot of you can. There have been times in my life where I have needed that release that only the Savior can provide, and that is where true joy lies. Every day we can feel this joy when we turn to Him, and try to keep His commandments. So this blog is about a journey. My journey, perhaps maybe your journey, back to God through that One that provides the exquisite lasting joy that we are all seeking. Our Savior, Jesus Christ, is true happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment