"Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost." -Alma 36:24 (The Book of Mormon)

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Service

  Alright... so this week I have spent a lot of time raking leaves. Living in southern Utah most of my life, I've never really had to rake many leaves. Mostly you just look at palm trees and cactus' down there. So, my arms are sore. I'm a wimp... lets be honest. Yesterday, as I was raking the backyard of an older woman in our congregation I couldn't help but feel happy. Raking really isn't a big deal, and anyone can do it (even me) but as I was pulling that rake again and again, until my arms hurt, I couldn't help but think of the Savior. When He was on the earth He didn't walk around and rake leaves, but His life was all in the service of others. He sought out "the one" who needed help and then administered to them. He was a friend to those who had no one, he healed in every way He knew how. And although he's not physically here anymore, He is just as real, and still provides that ever-caring service.
  So although raking leaves isn't a huge grand amount of service, I felt close to my Savior as I did it. I know when we serve and and love others we are doing as Jesus Christ would have done. Not only that but we are showing Him and our Heavenly Father how much we love them. There is a scripture in the Book of Mormon that states, "....When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God" (Mosiah 2:17, pg. 148-9). I know our Savior loves us, and He just wants us to help each other out in this life. I know that through service we can find an amazing amount of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment