"Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost." -Alma 36:24 (The Book of Mormon)

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Holy Ghost

  This afternoon I was thinking of an experience that I had when I was really little. We use to have two bunnies when I lived in Kanab, UT. There names were Whiskers and Scooter and sometimes we would take them out of their cage and let them run in our backyard. One day, I was sitting outside watching them run around. when something else caught my attention. I remember turning my back to the rabbits and getting engaged in another task. I was fully focused on the new project that I had immersed myself in when I felt this distinct, and very prompt, impression to turn around. Although I was little, I remember it felt like someone had hastily tapped me on the shoulder. As I turned around I caught a glance of a cat, moving quickly to go pounce on Scooter, who was oblivious to the whole thing. I ran toward the cat and got there right in time to scare it away from my little bunny :).


  So... yes, this is a strange story, and most of you probably don't see a bunny's life as high priority, but I learned a lot of lessons from that experience. I learned a lot about the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost is a member of the Godhead. He is with the Father and the Son, and they have the same purpose but they are three separate beings. There are many different roles that the Holy Ghost can play in our lives. He testifies of truth, helps lead us in the right direction, provides power to teach and to learn, he can warn us in times of danger (like if your rabbit is in danger :)), and one of my favorite roles of the Holy Ghost is that he is a comforter. I love the scripture in in John 14:18 that says, " I will not leave you comfortless; I will come to you." Our Heavenly Father speaks and comforts us through the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost is a precious gift that our Father in Heaven offers to all of those who have been baptized, by the right authority. The Holy Ghost can be our CONSTANT companion, if we are worthy of it.
  I'm so grateful for this gift! I'm also grateful for a Father in Heaven who loved his daughter enough to help her protect her little bunny. Because Scooter was important to me he was also important to Heavenly Father.  He loves us. He wants us to succeed and be happy and that is why He has given us the gift of the Holy Ghost.

No comments:

Post a Comment