"Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost." -Alma 36:24 (The Book of Mormon)

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Prophets

One thing that makes our church unique is that we believe in a living prophet who leads and guides the world today. If you are familiar with the Bible at all you will know that because God loves us He has always sent a prophet. He called Noah to tell all of the people that because of their wickedness they would need to repent or a great flood would come. Moses was also another prophet who was called to lead the Israelites out of Egypt.

A prophet is someone who is a mouthpiece for God. He gets direct revelation from our Heavenly Father and tells us the way to get back to our heavenly home to live with Him again. Through a living prophet we have had God's power and authority restored to the earth again. This authority makes ordinances like baptism, the conferral of the Holy Ghost, and the eternal binding of families, possible. He is a special witness of our Savior, Jesus Christ. He teaches us more of Him and how we can get close to Him. The prophet teaches the world which paths will bring peace and ultimately give us the most joy.

 Our prophet's name today is Thomas S. Monson. I know that he has been called of God because every time I listen to his words, and apply them into my life, I know I am in accordance to God's will. I feel closer to my Savior, when I follow His chosen prophet.

No comments:

Post a Comment